20051107

The last day as an "LT". Contemplating this beneficial change. It's friggin' awesome! After spending four years as a "junior officer" this is a big octave change in the ranks. At the full time job I am constantly beating on the walls of very senior officers and having to educate them on policy and sometimes dictate what they should be doing. This is difficult to do as a jr. O. That's all they see. The rank on the collar. They forget that I represent and have the full backing of a one-star general.

This new level gives me a
little more clout when I have to head around and
conduct OSHA inspections and instruct facilities on what must be fixed. The extra pay is nice, but it isn't a lot. Plus it just feels freaking good to finally make this goal. For the longest time I had some captain's rank pinned in the old Pathfinder then in the bimmer to remind me every day of the goal and what responsibility I will be stepping into. I replaced it with the gold oakleaf for Major this weekend.

During the promotion ceremony I stated what I have said many times. A lot of officers lose sight of the NCO's (sergeants) and lower enlisted. Having spent time as one has definitely helped me keep perspective. THEY are the ones who should get credit for every success of my unit. THEY are the ones who make me as a commander succeed or fail miserably. The unit has had some rocky days, but overall they are a great team. I am really proud to command them. I have about another year and 1/2 left in command and I already know I will miss it. These soldiers will always have a spot im my heart.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Congrats Will....always cool to see good people succeed. Definitely something you should be proud of. Believe it or not, hard work DOES pay off.